Sunday, June 1, 2008
Welding and Grinding
The Emergency Department ordered a MRI-Lumbar spine on a gentleman and I called them to tell them to ask patient if they have ever welded or done grinding and if they had to go ahead and get eyes on him. They called me back and told me no pacemaker and never welded or grinding, so I told them to bring him down. They got to the MRI suite and before I let him in, I asked him again if he had a pacemaker and if he had ever welded or done grinding. He said no, however, I started the screening process and kept on asking him. He eventually said that since I am doing the exam on his back does it matter that he had welded. So I explained to him about the magnet and if he had metal in his eyes it could cause damage. So it is very important how well you do your screening process. The Emergency Department and the patients do not realize how dangerous the MRI unit can be, so we need to be careful and get a good screening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There for a minute I thought that you were going to say that he had a pacemaker. I have had that happen before.
Post a Comment